CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Clinique compact

I dear friend of mine has someone, maybe an aunt, that works for Macy's managing the Clinique/Estee Lauder line. Every couple of months, she sends a huge shipment of leftover bonuses. We go through all of them and divide the spoils. It is so much fun. I love make-up. I was going through my new stash a little bit ago (Yes, I was getting ready at 2:30 today, so what??) and I started thinking. If I wanted to, I could afford to buy department store makeup at this stage in my life, but I don't. I am fine with other brands. But, when I was in the 8th grade, I wanted a Clinique compact more than anything. It was THE status symbol at my school. After P.E., all the girls would gather around the locker room mirror and whip out their compacts to freshen up. I wanted one of those green marblized things so bad. I never had to nerve to ask my parents for one. Even then, I couldn't see spending money like that. (I mean, $20 would have bought a new pair of keds!!! Hee hee) Remembering that made me think of status symbols throughout my life. When I was in kindergarten, it was a rabbit coat. Remember those??? I never got one...too expensive I'm sure. Plus, a little impractical. In 3rd grade, it was a ski jacket that the sleeves zipped out. I had one, but it was THE UGLIEST thing ever. I am sure mom found it on clearance. It was yellow, gray, and red. But, I loved it. In the 4th grade,it was Chic jeans. I could choose one pair of Chic jeans or 3 pair of Super Denims for the whole school year. I wore those Chic jeans until they were thread bare. In 5th grade, it was parachute pants. Mom found 2 pair on clearance for my birthday. In 6th grade, it was reebok tennis shoes. Grandmother Baeder got them for me for Christmas. I had to wear them with everything. In 7th grade, it was Sebagos and keds. I got the Sebagos, but I had to buy TG&Y white canvas shoes and I glued the old blue labels off my mom's 1970 keds to the cheapo's. Toward the end of 7th grade, it was Guess jeans. There was no way my family could afford Guess jeans, but somehow, right before we moved to Huntsville, my mom took me and bought some. I wore those jeans for 2 years. Even when the knees busted out, I sewed them back up. I guess when we moved back to Huntsville is when status symbols really made a difference. Everywhere else that I lived, it was cool to have certain things, but you were liked even if you didn't have them. It wasn't like that at Huntsville Middle School in 1988. I wish I could go back and whip out my Cover Girl compact and stick my tongue out at those snobby girls. I wish those girls hadn't made me feel so bad about myself. I guess there were other status symbols throughout high school, but I don't really remember them. I had found so many wonderful friends that loved me even if I bought my make-up at Walmart. :) I don't really remember it being an issue in college. I know I wanted certain things that I couldn't have, but I never felt like I did when all those girls pulled out their Clinique compacts. And if you are one of my teenage friends dealing with this right now, please know that it doesn't last forever. Find friends that don't care what is on the outside. There is life after middle and high school. Praise the Lord for that!!!

6 comments:

Joy in the little things said...

Hey - I'm a 'cover girl' kinda lady myself...always have, always will be. Doesn't that sound like a good commercial? haha - Anyway, I appreciate & agree with your deep tho'ts on this rainy day :)

Becky and Joe said...

You know, no one ever comes up to me these days and asks to see my Liz Claiborne purse. I was awfully proud of my purple one back in my Huntsville Middle days! That place must have warped us.

Papa said...

Wow! We didn't realize that your young life was so miserable. I think you came through it a much better person. Mom says that you did have more than one pair of Keds.

yankeestom said...

The two things I could never do without are my Clinque compact and my Jungle Master Mega Zword. I'm the coolest.

Lindy said...

awesome post! I remember those days of, "but mom these are what all the cool kids are wearing!" ha! and yes thank the Lord there IS life after high school :0)

Tammie's Thoughts said...

I love this post! I'm sooo old I don't even remember what was popular in high school or college and now I'm old enough I don't really care...i just want comfortable!