CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Honduras, Day 6

I am so close to getting to the end of these posts, I can taste it!

Tuesday was another fun day at school. We had the K, 1st, and 2nd graders. We seemed to know them the most since we had spent the most time with them. They are the sweetest kids and so funny. I hated to leave school. I know I will go back there one day, but it just seemed so final leaving this day. We left after lunch and came back to camp. During the day, another one of our groups took the 9th graders from the school on a field trip. They hike through the jungle to a waterfall and swimming hole. After they got back and the school kids left, Brent wanted to take some of the kids back up there. I had visions of a nap, but I knew I would never forgive myself if I missed out on this. Jennifer and I headed into the jungle after them , but they were way ahead of us. All of the sudden, 2 of the soldiers appeared with us. They were following us to make sure the old ladies got to the falls! So sweet. It was a long little hike and we finally made it. It was very slippery and rocky and I was so scared I would fall. How would people explain to my kids that their mom died on a mission trip falling from a waterfall??? It was very steep terrain, but I did get up there. All the boys were so surprised that the old mamas made it! This was so much more than a swimming hole. They were diving off of 25 ft rocks into the falls. They had the best time and afterwards told Brent that Jim wouldn't let them just over 4 feet. They thought Brent was the coolest, but he just assumed it was OK with Jim and they had been doing this the whole time. Jennifer jumped, but I didn't. I was the photographer ONLY. I used to be more of a dare devil I guess.

We got back to camp and bathed in the river and then ate dinner. It was Alexa South's 16th birthday, so we walked the miles and miled to town and went for ice cream. It was so worth it. Laurie Willis made cakes for her. It was this night that we realized the soldiers from camp had followed us. Our teens really made some good relationships with them. They were not there to guard us, just the mahogany trees. But throughout the week, they had become really protective of us. They followed us all the way into town to make sure we were safe. Then they walked us all home. We were so thankful for them!

0 comments: