CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Honduras, Days 7&8

We woke up Wednesday morning and went to Olga's house. She is one of the girls that helped in the kitchen. She lives in a barn with 22 other people. She wanted us to see her house. I guess I just got overwhelmed by heat on the way there, because I tossed my cookies on the way there. I was really dizzy and nauseous for quite a while. Plus, I was eaten alive by fire ants. Not a good start. Andy drove me and the other non-walkers (sick, injured,etc.)to join the rest of the group at Made In Honduras. Diane (we used her beach house) has taught this community of people that they have valuable trades and talents. They make things and sell them in this store. They get 100% of their sales. We spent all the money we had and gave these people the best day of the year. Many families will eat for months off this day. It was wonderful. We then went to town. The plan was to eat and shop in town for several hours. Some people went to the beach and played volleyball. My group ate at Chicken Express (We had the OK that this was safe!). Our soldiers, of course, followed us and we treated them to lunch. We got lots of looks with these guards with us. We also ate more ice cream! I was feeling Ok, but just really weak. We walked back to camp and waited on everyone to get back. I rested for a while, and actually went to sleep. Not a good sign. We were all supposed to eat supper and go worship at the teen center some of the group had been painting. I couldn't eat much and stayed back while the rest of the group went to Mahogany Bay. 2 of the teen girls were sick, too, so we just rested. I packed some of my stuff and just waited. Brent came back early with sick kids. Everyone came back late and no one really went to bed. We had to be up at 3:00 am anyway! I got up at 3 and threw up. Randy gave me phenegren and we walked to the end of the road and waited for our bus. Then I had some phenegren gel. I slept the entire 7 hour bus ride to San Pedro Sula. That was a huge help. I did not sleep at all to Atlanta, but it was a great flight. We had individual movie screens and airplane food never tasted better! I had pizza and ice cream in Atlanta and got to Memphis a little after 10:0o. It was good to be home, but I will always wish I was in Honduras.

0 comments: