CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Military BRATs

I had the opportunity to meet 2 girls today at church that are Navy BRATs. I don't run into many people in this area that are, so we had a nice little talk. (These were teens visiting our church this morning and just happened to be put in the small group I was leading.) The opening question for our group this morning was "To understand me, you need to know___________." At first it seemed we had lots in common. The older of the sisters started out by talking about moving lots, etc. and I really related to her. But the more she talked, I realized how bitter she was. She very much had the attitude of "Why bother with anything? It will all change." Granted, her family moves tons more than I ever had to, but it really took me by surprise. I have been thinking about my experience in the military and how it shaped me.

Although my dad was in the Navy when I was born, he took a few years off and then reenlisted when I was 6. We moved from Alabama to Pensacola. We stayed there for 2 years, then moved to Charleston. We were there for 5 years, then moved to Huntsville, which was home anyway...just a lucky break. We got to stay in Huntsville for 5 years, then moved to Memphis. I got to experience finding the joy in all situations. While I learned to mourn old friendships, I also learned the art of making friends quickly. I learned how to visit churches and find a church home. I gotten to see worship in all kinds of places, and see the differences in churches, and appreciate those differences. I have friends all over the country. I think our family was closer than some, because in some instances, we were all we had at times. It is pretty easy for me to be out of my comfort zone, because I had to do it so much. I am so thankful for the opportunities it gave me growing up. We never lived on base or went to base schools, and I feel that probably made my experience more positive than some.

I hated leaving friends and church homes, but it made me cherish every moment that I have in all situations. I hope that is the difference between those girls I met today and me.

0 comments: