CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

What's going on???

I have been so bad about blogging for the past month. What have we been up to at the Patterson house? Well...

SCHOOL
The kids have been in school for 6 weeks now and we are settling into our routine. Tyler has more homework this year and fights it...he loves his free time after school. He has a really great teacher that is really encouraging his creative writing and we are loving reading the things he writes. I laugh so hard when I read his journal that I cry, but only after he goes to bed. Emily is loving kindergarten and being at big school. She thinks she runs the place and is always telling us stories about how she runs errands for her teacher or who she sees in the hall. She writes her sight words countless times everyday and keeps us in stitches singing songs that she has learned.

I am in my 5th week of school. I have a smaller class this year and that has taken some adjusting. Plus, we don't have anywhere near the strong personality clashes that we had last year. Very little drama, that's for sure. I am really getting to know the kids and love them dearly. It is such a sweet, easy group. I do struggle with being away from home, though. I stayed home for 6 years. I worked very hard during those years with embroidery and sewing, more so than I work now, but it is just different. I just want to come home and crash after school, but I can't! I always feel rushed and like nothing is entirely done, like the laundry. I have Mondays and Fridays off, so that is nice. I try to stay at home one of the days and run errands and eat lunch with the kids the other one. I don't know what the answer is to me feeling this way, but I do feel that I need to be teaching at this point in my life.

CHURCH
Brent and I have moved from teaching the teens on Wednesday night to being small group leaders on Sunday morning. I have the 10th grade girls and I just love them. I am partial to them anyway, since they have been my favorite group since they were in the 6th grade. I know I am not supposed to have favorites, but I do. We are loving our new preacher, who is like a breath of fresh air for us!

SEWING
I am missing sewing. I am making some dresses for Em for the fall and winter, but she is just getting too big for the cutesy stuff I used to do for her. And I just don't have time to sew like I used to when I stayed home. Kathy had her sweet baby boy 3 weeks ago and I sewed up a storm for him, so I did get a little fix this month!

WEDDING
Oh my word, I totally forgot this sewing project. I am reconstructing a dress for Emily to wear in Becky's wedding. We had picked out a ready made dress online, but I found a dress at the clothing sale. It just called to me! I have no idea how old it is, but it was very dated. It is ivory raw silk with a smocked bodice. It had red bouillon roses on the bodice when I bought it. It had a big lace collar that I have removed and I also but out all of the bouillon roses and am in the process of hand embroidering dark purple flowers in the place of the red roses. I still have not decided if I am keeping the sleeves or not. I need to try it on Em again and see what I think. Plans are going well for the wedding. We met with the florist Monday and that was the last of the really big things to take care of. We have flowers, pictures, dresses, a cake, a church, and a preacher. Everything else is just a bonus!!! Showers are about to start and that is the fun part!

NO SOCCER OR DANCE
We made the decision last spring that this fall there would be no extracurricular activities. That has been wonderful. We are all at home together at night after crazy days out in the world. We do miss some aspects of it, but we have enjoyed the break so much.

Do you bloggers ever hit a blog wall? I am a big "night thinker" and I lay in bed at night and just think about things. I am always thinking about things that I could blog about, but then when I have time to sit down at the computer, I just don't feel like blogging. Maybe I need to have subjects to blog about like Danna. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Danna Ramsey said...

Okay, I would love to see a before and after of the dress when you get finished. I love repurposing clothes, but can't do it at all. Oh, and it made me laugh when you said I blog about subjects. Like I am always talking about math or spelling ... :)

Spellings Fam said...

You know you want to stick around at least one more year for my sweet Ammie! She promises not to move her frog more than once a day!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your update...and loved the video of Emily singing in...GERMAN??!! So neat! :-)

One idea I have seen from bloggers who hit a wall is an "Open Mic" post. People can post questions for you in the comment section and you answer them. Kind of a "get to know you better" concept. :-)